Thursday 29 October 2015

The Baby & Toddler Years: The Soundtrack


Sometimes, as I observe my children's behaviour, I find myself wondering what song would accompany the situation if we were in a film. As they have progressed from newborn to baby to toddler, I have seen them milk drunk and high on mama love, randomly squealing and shouting, going crazy with excitement, throwing tantrums over nothing and amusing me with their mimics. 

If toddlerhood was a film, maybe the soundtrack would go a little something like this. 

Scene: The milk-drunk newborn, gazing lovingly at his mother 
Track 1: Elvis Costello - She
"She may be the reason I survive
The why and wherefore I'm alive
The one I'll care for through the rough in many years
Me, I'll take her laughter and her tears
And make them all my souvenirs
For where she goes I've got to be
The meaning of my life is she"


Scene: The Colicky Phase
Track 2: Björk - It's Oh So Quiet
"Shh shh
It's nice and quiet
Shh shh
But soon again
Shh shh
Starts another big riot"



Scene: The teething baby, who will not be calmed
Track 3: Dusty Springfield - I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
"I just don't know what to do with myself,
Don't know quite what to do with myself, ..."

Scene: The dancing, miming, babbling toddler
Track 4: Robbie Williams  - Let Me Entertain You
"So come on
Let me entertain you
Let me entertain you
So come on, let me entertain you
Let me entertain you
Come on come one come on come on"

Scene: The tantrums begin 
Track 5: Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of
"F*@k you I won't do what you tell me, f*@k you I won't do what you tell me, f*@k you I won't do what you tell me, f*@k you I won't do what you tell me,...."


And then the fun began...
 
Mums' Days

6 comments:

  1. That's the absolutely perfect list of song choices Fionnuala! That really made me smile - especially the last one :-) Thanks for linking up #thetruthabout X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. It was the last song that gave me the initial idea for the post :D

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! I love it, great choices... I think we're in the 'let me entertain you' stage.... I'm definitely going to hope it lasts a long time, I don't fancy the tantrum stage #thelist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that is one of the better phases. The tantrum phase is hard to bear.

      Delete
  3. Love it. Sadly entering the Rage Against the Machine stage now...but feeling very nostalgic for the Elvis Costello days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is a tough phase and can go on for so long. I feel for you. We'll be hitting it (again!) soon too I reckon.

      Delete