Thursday 25 June 2015

Hugo, How I've Missed You


If there's one thing I love*, it is sitting in my garden sipping a drink on a summer's evening. While I really enjoy a nice cool glass of prosecco, there is something about a cocktail that is more relaxed and summery. One I love is Hugo, a phenomenon here in Germany. Just before my last pregnancy I was beginning to get sick of it. But this summer I have re-discovered it.

It is a combination of prosecco and elderflower syrup over ice with mint and a dash of sparking water. For me it is made all the more enjoyable by the fact that I am using my homemade elderflower syrup and mint from my own herb garden. I almost feel healthy drinking it. 

Per glass you will need:
2 ice cubes
2-3 fresh mint leaves
100ml prosecco or other sparking wine
50ml tonic water (I prefer the taste when made with tonic water rather than mineral water)
1-2 dsp elderflower syrup /cordial, to taste

place the mint in the bottom of the glass and add the ice cubes. Pour the cordial over them. Add the prosecco making sure that it dilutes the cordial. Top up with tonic water. You may need to give it a little stir. Then sit down and enjoy it.

*I'm talking food and drinks love here, not family love, just to be clear.

The Twinkle Diaries

6 comments:

  1. This sounds good and refreshing. Perfect for a summer drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. Yes, it really is very refreshing with all those bubbles and the mint too.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, sounds SO refreshing! Thanks for linking with #TwinklyTuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sadia. Try it if you can get your hands on some elderflower syrup.
      Read you tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Ohmyword!!!! HUGO??! Where has he been all my life?! I've had Champagne with elderflower cordial but not Prosecco topped up with soda — THAT sounds right up my street!! Definitely another one to add to my 'favourites' :)

    Caro | www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You take one week off #TwinklyTuesday and see what you missed??? Give it a go. I bet you'll like it. I've had only positive feedback from those who've tried it.

      Delete